Bishop Ireton High School has an opening for an experienced Communication & Marketing
Specialist. This 12-month, full-time position reports directly to the Director of Advancement. We are seeking an innovative professional, preferably with experience in an educational setting, who can manage the identity of our diocesan Catholic school and contribute to the strategic growth of the Bishop Ireton brand.
In conjunction with the Head of School and Director of Advancement, the Communication & Marketing Specialist will seek out opportunities for greater positive exposure for the school, working to build knowledge of and relationships with all stakeholders (faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni, etc.) The Communication & Marketing Specialist will plan, develop, implement, and monitor all internal and external communications and marketing endeavors for the school. This individual will ensure that all correspondence (electronic and print publications, press releases, mailers, website, social media, etc.) is mission-driven, Christ-centered, accurately branded, relevant, competitive, and ultimately supports Bishop Ireton's advancement and other initiatives.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic, creative, and flexible team player who embraces challenges and works proactively. The right candidate will engage a wide range of stakeholders, build relationships internally and externally, and is able to tell Bishop Ireton’s stories in a compelling and captivating way.
- Provide strategic communications for all areas/departments across the school. Effectively steward the school’s marketing and rebranding campaign and continue to integrate effective communication across all platforms.
- Oversee an integrated publicity effort (via both electronic and print) to ensure maximum exposure for Bishop Ireton’s Catholic identity and academic, athletic, and artistic endeavors, and individual student and faculty accomplishments. This position supports the school’s advancement and enrollment initiatives and campaigns.
- Write and place articles and press releases for both internal and external media outlets regarding both on- and off-campus events that spotlight students, alumni, faculty, and other members of the Ireton community.
- Produce and edit the weekly newsletter and manage all-school communications. Manage the editorial content of the Bishop Ireton website and social media accounts to be reflective of current activities at the school.
- Serve as Editor-in-Chief of the school magazine, Cardinal Connection, and, as such, oversee all aspects of the publication, from concept through design to editing and printing.
- Coordinate photography and video coverage for school and alumni events.
- Develop and coordinate a communications/marketing budget; monitor and manage expenditures throughout the budget year.
- Update and maintain records and archives.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Working Environment: The job is performed for the most part in an office setting with frequent local travel, at times after hours or on the weekend, as required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, night vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level is that of a typical office and school setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of communications and/or marketing experience, ideally in a school setting or nonprofit organization.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including editing. Excellent attention to detail. Ability to follow brand and style guidelines.
- Experience in digital marketing, writing for the web, and use of website content management systems.
- Proven ability to optimize presence on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Photoshop, required. Basic knowledge of HTML.
- Excellent organization skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively work in a fast paced environment with frequently changing priorities, deadlines, and workloads that can be variable for long periods of time. Ability to exercise good judgment.
Must be able to meet established deadlines and handle multiple customer service demands from internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to establish strong working relationships and negotiate effectively.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Suite of services or willingness to learn.
- Understanding of and commitment to Catholic teachings and practices or willingness to learn.
Terms of Employment:
- Candidates must be a United States citizen at time of hire.
- Full-time, FLSA Exempt, 12-month employee
- Hours subject to responsibilities of position and may require occasional evening and weekend duty
- Background check and Virtus training
- Start Date: Mid-late June 2019
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Contact: We invite qualified candidates to consider becoming part of our community by submitting a cover letter, current resume, at least three writing samples (one should be from social media), and at least three (3) professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Bishop Ireton
Bishop Ireton, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school in historic Alexandria, Virginia, began its proud heritage of academic excellence in 1964. The school offers a challenging environment and outstanding quality of life, both in academics and co-curricular activities, with a strong focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) initiatives. The spirit of community service and giving back is part of everything the school does. Bishop Ireton’s top-tier status is reflected in its talented faculty and staff, who take great pride in seeing virtually every graduate head to college - often to the most prestigious universities and service academies.