Bishop Ireton High School has an immediate opening for a part-time Alumni and Advancement Events Manager at our campus in Alexandria, Virginia.
Reporting to the Advancement Director and the Head of School, this position involves the development, design, planning and organizing of Bishop Ireton Alumni and Advancement event activities, both off-and on-site, including managing logistics such as facilities, invitations, donor/visitor management activities, concessionaires, caterers, vendors, travel logistics, and facilitation of communication and services with speakers and facility maintenance staff; or provides technical support of these activities.
In addition, this role also has outward facing duties, as s/he engages with alumni, families and friends of Bishop Ireton. The Event Manager must be able to navigate not only the logistical requirements of event planning (and working with event vendors), but must also exhibit finesse and flexibility in working with our alumni and families, who are also our valued donor base.
This is a part time position at 20-25 hours per week, with work flexibly done from home.
- Works with the Head of School, the Advancement Team and involved Senior Staff members to conceptualize events and discuss all details regarding events and event planning, demonstrating good judgment and discrimination in making decisions and managing events which affect the school as a whole and its specialized communities while staying in accordance with BI policies.
- Develops, designs, and implements a wide range of specialized activities connected with these events including alumni engagement, fundraising-oriented, or other public events.
- Plans, organizes, and identifies event locations and vendors; confers with broad based constituencies regarding logistics, guest lists, site selection, vendors, event goals and objectives, etc.
- Prepares and executes detailed event planning timelines and task lists to effectively track progress of the event.
Assists the Head of School and Advancement team to promote events to targeted audiences. Oversees the completion of design and drafting of digital and physical invitations and other collateral. Collaborates to finalize guest lists and lists of local contacts to publicize events; handles RSVPs; and works with the Communications office to engage media as necessary.
- Utilizes expertise in technology (online communications, social media, software applications, etc.) to advance planning and programming needs.
- Administers facilities and space logistics and manages equipment needs.
- Determines and coordinates staffing needs for individual events, reaching out to other staff and volunteers, and leveraging collegial relationships when necessary.
- Coordinates with the Head of School and the Advancement office on event budgets. Oversees financial processes that may include coordinating purchase orders and other business services functions as required.
- Contributes to and participates in long-range unit event planning. Works with the Head of School and Advancement team to strategize event programming for the year; makes recommendations on event and alumni engagement opportunities.
- Ensures smooth-running, effective events, including successfully recognizing and resolving potential and real problems in a timely manner using tact, sensitivity and discretion.
- Education: Bachelors degree.
- At least three years’ experience with event planning.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and public relations, including event design, organization and production.
- Thorough knowledge of the Bishop Ireton campus, its vision, mission, programs and policies.
- Skill in effectively meeting budget and time constraints.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills to work successfully with clients to produce high quality events; and, for fundraising events, skills to provide excellent donor stewardship.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of key software applications including Microsoft Office Suite, web design software, and experience with database applications. Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of marketing and communications strategies to effectively promote events and activities to the targeted audience.
- Solid project management skills. Strong skills in short term planning, analysis and problem-solving, and customer service.
Candidates also must:
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter with three professional references and resume as a single attachment and send to Tina Becker, Manager of Administrative Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Bishop Ireton
Bishop Ireton, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school in historic Alexandria, Virginia, began its proud heritage of academic excellence in 1964. The school offers a challenging environment and outstanding quality of life, both in academics and co-curricular activities, with a three-tiered focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), humanities and fine arts. The spirit of community service and giving back is central to the school’s mission. Bishop Ireton’s quality is reflected in its distinguished faculty and staff, who take great pride in seeing every graduate head to college - often to the most prestigious universities and service academies.